THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

First Official Batman 'Dark Knight' Review

Peter Travers over at Rolling Stone Magazine has seen The Dark Knight and throws in his $.02 about the upcoming sequel to Batman Begins, aka, The Dark Knight, yes, ladies and gents, it's a stunner - not that I had any doubts. I don't think any of the usual introductions are necessary here; I've already expressed a strong desire to see it; So I won't waste your time with a rehash of what I already said here. Instead, just dig right in and share in the reviewer's thrill:

Heads up: a thunderbolt is about to rip into the blanket of bland we call summer movies. The Dark Knight, director Christopher Nolan's absolute stunner of a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, is a potent provocation decked out as a comic-book movie. Feverish action? Check. Dazzling spectacle? Check. Devilish fun? Check. But Nolan is just warming up. There's something raw and elemental at work in this artfully imagined universe. Striking out from his Batman origin story, Nolan cuts through to a deeper dimension. Huh? Wha? How can a conflicted guy in a bat suit and a villain with a cracked, painted-on clown smile speak to the essentials of the human condition? Just hang on for a shock to the system. The Dark Knight creates a place where good and evil — expected to do battle — decide instead to get it on and dance. "I don't want to kill you," Heath Ledger's psycho Joker tells Christian Bale's stalwart Batman. "You complete me." Don't buy the tease. He means it.

If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up. Ledger's Joker has no gray areas — he's all rampaging id.

It's full of surprises you don't see coming. And just try to get it out of your dreams.

WHOA! Just try to get it out of your dreams? Also, I see the chant for a posthumous Oscar for Heath Ledger already has a chorus section... this isn't the first time I'm hearing it.

Read the entire review HERE. By the way, it opens 2 weeks after Hancock.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    Wow. I didn't know if I wanted to see this at first but now, I'm adding it to my list.

    Obenson, after reading the Variety review of Hancock...I'm having second thoughts about going to see it. Although I'll probably go anyway.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    Wow. I didn't know if I wanted to see this at first but now, I'm adding it to my list.

    Obenson, after reading the Variety review of Hancock...I'm having second thoughts about going to see it. Although I'll probably go anyway.

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    Just one word...WOW! I'm so there! When does it come out again? Sorry for the repeat if you've already mentioned it (brain on overload).

    - P

  4. The Obenson Report said...
     

    @ Nic - I'll still see Hancock anyway, regardless of all the negative reviews and spoilers I've read about it. I plan to review it myself on this blog.

    @ P - It comes out July 17th, a Thursday night. Should be a fun ride!

Post a Comment