THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Early Batman 'The Dark Night' Review

This is one film I'm looking forward to seeing this summer - probably more than any other summer blockbuster offerings. Tim Burton hooked me in 1989; Joel Schumacher killed whatever hopes I had for the future of the franchise in 1995 & 1997; and, thankfully, now Christopher Nolan has renewed my interest.

One thing that has always attracted me to this particular super hero is that, unlike many others, he's human - sans any super-human abilities like say, Super Man, Spider Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc. He didn't get bitten by a radioactive spider, nor was he born on some foreign superior planet. He's a vulnerable earthling - albeit a wealthy one - who uses man-made technology, and his own physical agility to challenge the rampant villainy in his native Gotham city. So, maybe in that regard, he really isn't a super hero in the comic-book sense, but rather a masked vigilante of sorts, whose aim is to rid his city of the criminal element destroying it - not-so unlike maybe Dirty Harry, or Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver, or almost every character Charles Bronson ever portrayed. He bleeds like I do, and he can die in the same ways that I can, yet he is unrelenting in his pursuits. That makes him all the more intriguing a character - to me anyway.

So, it brought me great joy to read the first full review of the film that I've seen anywhere (the film doesn't open until the middle of July) to find out that it does indeed satisfy all the hype that's been following it since the announcement of the sequel almost 3 years ago - at least, according to this reviewer. I'm sure there'll be some dissenters, but they won't deter me from purchasing my $12 ticket on that glorious day when the film opens in theatres in my wonderful version of Gotham, also known as New York City!

Here's are a couple of snippets from the
AICN review included below:

“The film feels more like a crime drama in a grand city scape than a typical comic book movie. It feels like Heat except Batman is Al Pacino and The Joker is Robert De Niro and just like in that film we have a great scene between Heath Ledger and Christian Bale across a table. There is also an element of a Greek Tragedy.. There is a vast sense of morality at play within the film.”

" Heath Ledgers performance of the joker is truly one for the books. A man of no remorse or morals who simply wants to see things burn... He is far from a caricature and has depth. The Joker is almost more of a terrorist than criminal. He is not motivated bymoney. He wants to see people suffer... Best supporting Oscar anyone?"

You can read the entire review HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment