THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

'Friends' - The Movie

After the success of the Sex and the City movie, I guess this was inevitable. I actually questioned whether or not I should bother posting this, but given that it was such an incredibly popular show, reaching across all racial boundaries, I felt compelled to at least mention it. In fact, I know with certainty that some of you reading this were indeed big fans of the program.

I wonder if they'll follow Sex and the City's lead and have that one token Negro in it, in what will likely be an unabashedly stereotypical role - yup, I'm looking right at you Jennifer Hudson.

I never was a fan of Friends. I know several folks who were, and who watched it religiously... frighteningly. I watched a couple of episodes and just didn't understand why it was so highly regarded. It wasn't funny - at least to me. Its few attempts at diversifying the racial make-up of its cast were actually more embarassing than useful. And I simply didn't care for any of the cast of characters at all! So, I never jumped on the bandwagon and certainly don't plan on doing so now, even with a big screen adaptation!

From Daily Mail UK:

Friends reunited: Jennifer Aniston and the gang set to return for big-screen blockbuster

The highly anticipated film production of TV series Friends has finally been given the go-ahead, MailOnline has learned.

Cast members Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow and David Schwimmer will reprise their roles for a big-screen adaptation 'within the next 18 months', according to insiders.

The actors have been inspired by the recent success of Sex And The City, which recently hit cinemas worldwide.

Read the rest of it HERE.

1 comments:

  1. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    Oh dear...

    I was actually a fan of Friends the TV series and it can still raise the odd chuckles when I catch a re-run... But Friends the Movie!?

    I was/am an avid fan of SATC the TV series but, while I won't say I hated the movie, it certainly was something of a disappointment. The overhpying and black token role aside... The first 30-40 minutes of the film were uncalled for - they could have whittled that down to 5 minutes, 10 at the most! And they took each of the four main characters and boiled them down to their most obvious character trait(s). 2D, much!?

    It was like watching a very long and not so good episode of the TV show. If this had been a pilot episode, I wouldn't have bothered with the TV series.

    Somehow, I can't see Friends the Movie being much better. And please, God! don't let them put in a black character just for the sake of it! What are they gonna make him/her do...? Be Joey's butler or maid!?

    :0

Post a Comment