THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Dennis Haysbert: I Helped Pave Obama's Way

Haha! I was wondering when someone would speak up...

Although you certainly weren't the first fictional black president Mr Haysbert. Chris Rock wrote, directed, and starred as presidential candidate Mays Gilliam in the 2003 comedy Head of State. He was preceded by Morgan Freeman as President Tom Beck in the 1998 disaster movie, Deep Impact. And before that, the first African-American movie president was played by James Earl Jones in the 1972 political drama The Man.


So, maybe we should give all those other men credit as well.

From Huffpo:

Dennis Haysbert likes to believe his portrayal as the first African-American U.S. president on Fox's "24" may have helped pave the way for Barack Obama."If anything, my portrayal of David Palmer, I think, may have helped open the eyes of the American people," said the actor, who has contributed $2,300 to the Illinois Democrat's presidential campaign.

The rest HERE.

1 comments:

  1. Invisible Woman said...
     

    Damn, damn, damn, James! I have been meaning to post this same story for days, and was finally going to do it tonight--now look!

    I guess that's what I get for being a slacker..... ;-(

Post a Comment