THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Thandie Newton, Idris Elba In 'RocknRolla'

Guy Ritchie makes another film about London's criminal underbelly. Nothing major right? Right. The only reason (or reasons) I'm posting this is because 2 of London's finest, Thandie Newton and Idris Elba, co-star in the film, which stars Gerard Butler as a character who calls himself One Two, a mobster with street smarts.

The film's premise is listed as follows: when a Russian mobster sets up a real estate scam that generates millions of pounds, various members of London's criminal underworld pursue their share of the fortune.

Thandie Newton plays Stella, an accountant who is One Two's (Gerard Butler's) love interest. Idris Elba's character is called Mumbles, and he is One-Two's partner - essentially his black sidekick. So he's got a black love interest and a black sidekick. I wonder if Mumbles has ever thought about taking One-Two out, and snagging Stella in the process. Probably not... although, who knows, maybe there's a plot twist in there that follows that storyline. Shhhh... don't tell anybody :o)

By the way, is it just me or does there seem to be quite a proliferation of recent films (moreso than ever before) with white male leads who have black love interests?

The film also co-stars Ludacris, as Roman, an American musician seeking to break through in London - a role that I'm sure he eased right into.

RocknRolla hits theatres October 3rd.

Here are a couple of images from the film featuring both Thandie and Idris. Click each one for an enlarged view:

3 comments:

  1. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    I like Guy Richie's gumption. His last outing, 'Revolver,' got a serious panning from the critics over here in the UK and I'm not sure that it even got theatrical release outside the British Isles.

    It was a Brtish gangster flick trying a little too hard to go high-brow for some tastes but it was certainly the kind of movie you had to watch more than once - I did, and I quite liked it.

    So for him to come back with yet another ganster flick... Kudos to him. This one does sound a little more conventional though.

    Not sure about the proliferation of white leads with black love interestests, but if this is set in London, then it's not paritcuarly strange. There's a lot of multi-culti lovin' going on over here - moreso black men with white women (so ordinary and passé), but it's almost cool for white men to date black women these days...

    I look forward to seeing this - on account of both the cast and the director.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    I've never been a fan of his films. I don't hate them. Just not for me. But I might make an exception in this case and see RocknRolla if only because Idris and Thandie are in it. I hope Idris doesn't mumble in the film since his name is Mumbles Lol! That won't be good. And Thandie looks "hippy" in that picture. I've never seen her as a "meaty" woman. Maybe it's just the angle Lol!

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    I should explore him more. I started watching one of his films (I forgot which one). I didn't really like it, so I stopped. But perhaps I should revisit Guy Ritchie.

    Maybe that's the latest fad. LOL.

Post a Comment