THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Film Recommendation - Lumumba

Dare I say, a better bio-pic than Spike's Malcolm X? Hmmm... I say yes... why not! After initially seeing it at a film festival in San Francisco, in 2000, at what was then its US premiere, I remember discussing the film with several other audience members afterward, and the assured consensus was that this was a film that could play wide.

It didn't. It reached a maximum of 12 theatres nationwide and raked in just over $350,000 in box office receipts - not very much at all.

The filmmaker, Haitian-born, Raoul Peck, hasn't done much since, unfortunately, except for some TV work.

If you haven't seen it, you should do so now! It's available for sale at Amazon, and likely for rent on Netflix.

Trailer follows below...

4 comments:

  1. Qadree said...
     

    I need to see this one again, but the dvd I had of it is missing.

    If I remember correctly, in Sembene's "Black Girl" there is a Lamumba flag hanging in the guy's room that Diouanna is dating before she goes to France. It's a small thing, but it makes a big statement considering the subject matter (that's if I'm remembering correctly).

  2. Invisible Woman said...
     

    OMG. I was working for the festival that year...just think, we could have met 8 years ago....maybe one day :-(

  3. The Obenson Report said...
     

    - Qadree, I'll have to watch Black Girl again. I don't recall.

    - Wow I.W. - you were working the SFBFF that year? Still working it? I haven't been back since then.

  4. Invisible Woman said...
     

    No...down in LA---wnated to go to the Hollywood Black Film Fest but guess what? There wasn't one thing I wanted to see!

Post a Comment