THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

PRINT - Halle Berry In Essence (On Angela Davis Film, Going Bald And Black Men)



So, as you've likely already heard, starlet, and new mother, Halle Berry (Lady Aphrodite to many wishful wannabe Adonises), graces the cover of the current issue of Essence magazine (March).


A fine cover it is, but it's what on the inside that really counts, right? And I mean literally on the inside... of the magazine that is.

In it, Halle is interviewed, and dishes on a variety of subjects, some that are certain to raise some eyebrows; so brace yourselves... or not :o)

First - I had no idea she had an Angela Davis project in the works, labeling a labor of love, much like her current project, Frankie & Alice, which she says she worked on for 10 years. (I wrote about Frankie & Alice previously on this blog, including some risque pics of Halle on set. Read that post HERE).

So, how's this going to work, since we previously heard that some French-Algerian director has already secured $20 to $30 million in funding to produce an Angela Davis bio-pic, potentially starring Beyonce Knowles. Remember that? Who would you rather see play Angela Davis, Halle Berry or Beyonce Knowles?

But if each project is indeed unique, then we just might see 2 Angela Davis bio-pics in theatres in coming years - likely a few years part. However, I seriously doubt that.


Second - Looking forward to her next production, she says she will indeed be shaving all her hair off for the role she plays in the romantic comedy, Nappily Ever After - a project that's been in gestation for quite a few years now, with Halle attached from inception. It looks like it's a done deal, and will go into production sometime soon, for a 2010 release date.

Why will she be going bald for the role? Nappily Ever After, based on a book of the same name by Trisha R. Thomas, is about a young woman, Venus Johnston, who grows weary of her relationship with her boyfriend, and having to maintain her long, dark hair. Resolving to create a new, independent life for herself, she leaves her boyfriend and cuts her hair off. Drama, hilarity and hijinx of course ensue. I haven't read the book. Maybe some of you have.


And lastly - Regarding black men and her previously relationships, Halle mockingly states, "I tried black men. I tried... I married two black men. You know I tried." The article states that she said this "in a mock southern accent," implying that she was joking - at least, somewhat. She then said, "I don't hold all black males responsible because of the two bad eggs I got. I even dated black men after my last divorce, but this is just where I found love." So, it's not that big of a deal, but I'm guessing it might rub some the wrong way.

That's it! An Angela Davis biopic in the works; going bald for Nappily Ever After; and throwing black men under the bus!! Joking... somewhat. David Justice and Eric Benet ruined it for the rest of us. Bastards! :o)

To read the entire article, you'll have to buy the magazine, or subscribe via their website. But you can see a preview of it in the video below, or the link that follows it:



via ESSENCE

3 comments:

  1. Karen said...
     

    Halle Berry looks fab in those pictures and the article seems quite interesting. I don't get the fuss about her not dating a black man, she is half white! And she has the right to date whoever she wants regardless of skin color.

    I read Nappily Ever After back in high school and Halle seems like a good fit.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    when i feel bad i just think about women like halle and now rihanna and how some people tell me i'm insecure that's why i get abused. my retort is everyone is insecure.

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    I don't know if Halle was joking about the black men comment or not, but I very seriously doubt if her issues with men had/have anything to do with their race.

    If she's happy with Gabriel, it's only because she started making better choices when it comes to men.

Post a Comment