THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Good Monday Morning!

good


It was a relatively slow news weekend. Sundance wrapped up its festivities yesterday, Sunday, with Push winning 3 awards (see my post below); and I didn't see any films worth talking about, although I hoped to check out a couple of re-releases - a new 35mm print of Chantal Ackerman's 1975 3 1/2-hour debut,
Jeane Dielman, and Carlos Reygadas's 2 1/2-hour drama of adultery and penance, Silent Light. Alas, I was quite the lazy bum this weekend, and stayed in mostly. The freezing temps outside didn't help much either.

Luckily both films will be around for the week, so I should get my opportunity.

The "slow news" theme continues today, as there isn't much to report this morning... other than the below spec that songstress Rihanna might be joining Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz, and Drew Barrymore as a fourth Angel in a 3rd installment of the Charlie's Angels big screen series.

From SlashFilm:

Ms. Barrymore recently blabbed to E! about wanting to add a third Angels film to the pair she already has... Sci Fi Wire managed to get an interview with her compadre Ms. Juvonen and pushed for as much info as she was willing and able to give.

[...]

“We’d have to do it with McG. I don’t think we could do it without McG and I think that the Angels all at least need to be there. Right?”

She also posited the possibility of a fourth Angel joining the team, adding “I’m having a Rihanna fixation myself. What are you going to do?”

And on the replacing of Bernie Mac who passed away last year:

The interview also addresses the passing of Bernie Mac, which was a sad reminder of his passing. Juvonen knows that she would have to act respectfully in the replacement of Bosley, and admits to having given it some thought… though what thinks she thunk, I dunno.

I'm not much of a fan of the Charlie's Angels movies... I used to watch the TV series as a kid with Kate Jackson, Farrah Fawcett and Jaclyn Smith, and I remember really liking the show; much of the spirit in which the TV series was made was lost in the big screen adaptations, and I just didn't care much for either of them. So, I don't feel strongly one way or another about Rihanna as a 4th Angel, because I probably won't see the film anyway... if it is made.

But I'm sure there'll be some unhappy voices, notably actors, lamenting the loss of yet another paid, potentially high-profile acting job to a popular musician, who really doesn't need the added exposure.

via SLASHFILM

0 comments:

Post a Comment