THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Movie Posters - 1970s

poster
It's interesting how black male actors in contemporary mainstream movies and television have been almost entirely de-sexualized, especially in comparison to their blaxploitation forefathers of the 70s - an era in which we saw over-sexualized representations of black men in countless films. The trailer below could be for almost any film made during that period - he's great in the sack with the ladies (both black and white), and he'll kick your ass - or more specifically, Whitey's ass! That about sums them all up! He may as well have been a walking penis... a walking penis with martial arts skills... and a gun... plus a blow-dryer in this specific instance.

A man for all ages, right?


Thanks Sweetback!

I dare any of today's black male actors to be even half as bold :o)

Anyway... here's Black Shampoo (trailer below):



6 comments:

  1. Invisible Woman said...
     

    I was gonna post this trailer on my blog last month, but got...ya know, lazy.

    I have to step my game up with you around! ;^D

  2. The Obenson Report said...
     

    I think you're doing just fine with or without me around :o)

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    I think mainstream black male stars follow in the sydney poitier mold. Sexless enough for white audiences. White people watch blaxpolation now but back in the day only (the vast majority) black people were watching those movies so they could be sexual. I think its interesting that movie today made for black audience that are successful are sexless.

  4. The Obenson Report said...
     

    "I think its interesting that movies today made for black audience that are successful are sexless."

    Certainly in the mainstream. It's a completely different story in indie world.

  5. Anonymous said...
     

    In the okie doke we don't get the indies although i was able to stream I'm through with white girls from Netflix.

  6. The Obenson Report said...
     

    "A Good Day To Be Black & Sexy" should be on DVD sometime next year. It's sex-filled :o)

Post a Comment