THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Trailer - Che

It's been floating about the web for about a month now, but I just never got around to posting it. So, here it is for those who haven't seen it.

It's a "bootleg version" of the trailer, recorded in a theatre somewhere with a hand-held camera (not sure where exactly), and is entirely in Spanish, minus subtitles. But even if you don't understand the language, you can still get a feel for what the 4-hour epic biopic might look and sound like, once you get past the fact that it's a recording of the original.

To my knowledge, no other trailer exists.

The film, which premiered at Cannes to mixed reviews, has struggled to find a distributor since then, with most labeling it a marketing challenge, and I guess I can understand why: 4-hour subtitled biopics of South American Marxist revolutionaries likely won't sell many tickets. But his face sure has sold many tee-shirts though!! I suppose that doesn't mean much, huh? So much for the counterculture revolution the image symbolizes. Now it's just a fashion statement, I guess - merchandise. How ironic.

The film stars Benicio Del Toro who bears a striking resemblance to Che, and directed by Steven Soderbergh.

By the way, the man was just 39 when he was captured and assassinated in Bolivia by a group backed by our very own CIA. What will you accomplish before your 39th birthday?

Here's the trailer:

1 comments:

  1. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    I'm actually not too surprised it's having trouble finding a distributor - particularly inside the US, anyway.

    I've read that it was funed by Fidel Castro, though some sources are saying it was funded by "Spanish" money...

    I guess Danny Glover can expect the same hurdle if he gets his Haiti project off the ground.

    And what will I have achieved by my 39th birthday? Well... Oh, wait. Um... never mind.

    :|

Post a Comment