THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

"10 Sistas To Look Out For This Summer 2008"

In light of all the recent media attention on the unappreciated, under-represented female audience, initialized by the success of the Sex and the City movie - with the assistance of BlackFilm.com, 10 Sistas To Look Out For This Summer 2008 - a rather pathetic list of African American women with roles in summer studio movies (Plus my $.02 in parentheses, wherever I had anything noteworthy to say).

1. Jennifer Hudson - plays an assistant to Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie in 'Sex and the City: The Movie' (I heard her role was unapologetically stereotypical, and her performance just didn't work. A friend actually told me that J-Hud's scenes are cringe-worthy, not necessarily because of her performance, but because of the portrayal.)

2. Gabrielle Union - She joins Eddie Murphy in 'Meet Dave', out in July, about a crew of miniature, human-looking aliens who are seeking a way to save their doomed world. Murphy will play the human spacecraft they travel in as well as the ship's captain. (I'm getting a Pluto Nash/Osmosis Jones vibe from this. I think I'll have to pass altogether)

3. Naomie Harris - stars alongside Josh Hartnett in 'August,' in theatres July 11, a story of two brothers and their Internet start-up, two weeks before 9/11. (I like Naomie. Not sure what her role in this film is, but I'll be paying attention as the film's release date nears)

4. Paula Patton - stars with Kevin Costner in 'Swing Vote' August 1 and Kiefer Sutherland in 'Mirrors' August 15. (I believe she plays the love interest to both men in each film. She's got a Halle Berry thing going on in terms of looks as well as roles. She joins the club of other "passable" black women routinely playing opposite white men)

5. Mariah Carey - plays herself in 'You Don't Mess With The Zohan' out this weekend. (Yawn...)

6. Sanaa Hamri - The director of 'Something New' directs 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2,' out August 8. (Good for her, but just not a movie of interest to me).

7. 8. 9. Keke Palmer, Tasha Smith, Jill Marie Jones - the trio star alongside Ice Cube in 'The Longshots,' out July 25. (I posted the trailer and shared my thoughts on it as well HERE)

10. And lastly, Meagan Good - stars in Mike Meyers' 'The Love Guru' out June 20. (I believe she plays the wife of a professional athlete. Not much of a stretch, huh? Even though Deepak Chopra, whom I respect deeply, gave the film a thumbs up, I'll have to pass on it!)

For the entire list without my witty and insightful repartee, go to Blackfilm.com. Note - these are exclusively studio movies. Obviously, not much here for anyone to really get excited about! I'll say it again, Girlfriends: The Movie. Make it happen! I'm beating the drums... :o)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    She joins Eddie Murphy in 'Meet Dave', out in July, about a crew of miniature, human-looking aliens who are seeking a way to save their doomed world

    What?!

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    How about on the indie circuit? I'm curious to know how we fare there. I'm guessing worse. But it's worth a look.

  3. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    1. Sadly, one word came to mind as I watched JHud's scenes: Mammy.

    2. Zzzz...

    Actually, zzzz to the end.

    This list in no way reflects the post-SATC attention to the lack of female-oriented films. If this is all BlackFilm.com could come up with, then, in light of the onslaught of 'chick-flicks' that'll no doubt be heading our way, this list is deplorable!

    Like Albertine says, maybe the indie scene is worth a look, though I won't hold my breath.

  4. Anonymous said...
     

    @ UK Chick

    Mammy?

    Damn, man.

    :(

    I haven't seen it yet.

Post a Comment